APOTHIC RED WINE PEARS
INGREDIENTS:2 cups of Apothic Red
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 cup of orange juice
1 3-inch strip of orange zest
1 cinnamon stick
4 first, ripe pears
DIRECTIONS:1. In a medium saucepan, combine Apothic Red, sugar, orange juice, zest, cinnamon stick and cloves.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. While liquid is simmering, peel pears, leaving stem intact. Be careful not to blemish the flesh of the pears.
3. Slice 1/2 inch off the bottom of the pears to create a flat bottom. Gently place pears in poaching liquid, cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes to ensure even color, until pears are cooked but still frim.
4. Remove saucepan from flame, uncover and cool with pears upright in pan.
5. Once cool, cover and chill in refrigerator 3-24 hours, turning occasionally, if desired.
6. Gently remove pears from liquid and allow to come to room temperature.
7. Meanwhile, reduce liquid by about half over a medium-high flame for 15 minutes, until liquid is thicker and slightly syrupy.
8. Remove from flame and let liquid come to room temperature. Drizzle each pear with 2 tablespoons of syrup and serve.
Serving Size: 4-6