INGREDIENTS:1 cup brown sugar
1 cup molasses
1 cup unsalted grass-fed butter
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
4 ½ cups flour, more for rolling dough
Icing and candies for decoration, optional
DIRECTIONS:1. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, molasses, and butter. Place over medium-low heat and stir until mixture is melted.
2. Remove from heat and mix in baking soda and 1/4 cup cold water. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
3. Add egg, salt, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves and stir well. Add 4 cups flour and mix well—adding more if dough seems sticky.
4. Shape into a ball, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness and cut into whatever shapes you like. Arrange on baking sheets 1-1/2-inches apart.
6. Bake until risen and no longer shiny ~10 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
8. Decorate with icing and candies. Share. Or don’t.